Friday, May 04, 2007

Called in by the AP

Aubrey Campbell, my new educator, had an observation scheduled with an Assistant Principal at Piper High School for the day. I was apprehensive, when I got called in by the AP, to discuss the new educator's performance. Audrey and I had discussed all of the necessary components that needed to be in the classroom such as class objectives and rules, displaying student work, and all of the necessary classroom management procedures such as circulating the classroom and making sure all of the students are participating in the lesson. So I was wondering what the AP wanted to discuss. When I got to the meeting I was relieved to find out that the AP was very excited with the dynamic lesson plan that Aubrey had developed. He taught a math lesson using a website which showed students how to do equations and made the mathematics problems very visually appealing to the students. As I have seen him progress throughout the year his comfort level with teaching has grown dramatically. He actually teaches four classes now with no planning period! It really is rewarding to be a NESS Coach when you can give back to someone. I still remember my first year of teaching and how I was in my survival stage and Julie Arnold went way out of her way to help me with anything I needed and it is great to feel that I can give back to the new teachers.

Walter Weidler, Piper High School

No comments: