Thursday, February 26, 2009

Protocol Practice

Teachers using protocols during meetings or professional learning communities has brought back a memory from when I taught 4th grade. I’d like to share…

I can remember my first time facilitating a Socratic seminar with my 4th graders. Well not exactly. I do not remember the text we used or the questions that was asked. I am unable to recall how long the conversation lasted, or the follow-up activities that I provided. What I DO remember were is how anxious I was getting during the seminar and how depressed I felt after I finished. Nothing happened as planned, yet I could not understand why.

I remember selecting “a text” that was modeled during the training, and even used frequently asked opening, core and closing questions. I remember explaining to the students the process and the norms, yet the conversation lacked depth, interaction, and any signs of student listening or thinking skills. How could this be possible when I did everything exactly as it was modeled to me during the training? I’m not sure if at the time I was able to answer that question, however now I know that even for me learning, implementation, and improvement is a process.

We (my students and I) were committed to try again even though it would have been easier to dump the process and continue with the familiar question and answer routine. Once again a common text was selected, questions were prepared, and the norms and process was reviewed. To improve on the experience we wanted to focus our own behaviors and decided to videotape our event. Immediately after the seminar, we watched our video without comments (yet there was quite a few moments of laughter- these are 4th graders), and the watched a second time with a purpose.

Groups of students were assigned to look for evidence of specific behaviors including signs of referring to the text, demonstration of listening, and indication of students asking questions. As a class we discussed what we saw and what we should do next. This process reinforced behaviors and identified areas of improvement. Is was amazing how our critiques were professional and free from any ridicule. We continued with the videotaping throughout the year and eventually found the seminar process engaging, thought provoking, and fun. Just like it was during the initial training.

My expectations never changed, just my timeline. As teacher leaders continue to use protocols to engage conversation, the practice of refining and improving the process is essential for success.

No comments: