Tuesday, October 28, 2008

That Blank Look

Sometimes when I ask my eight-year-old students for their ideas or opinions often they are too shy to put up their hands or offer their thoughts. In this situation I now say, "O.K. tell the person next to you what you think.” I allow the students thirty seconds to a minute, and then call their attention back to me. There will be a noisy buzz while they exchange views, but the result when you ask for their opinions again is worth it. As they have already told one person and not been laughed at, they will be more inclined to tell the whole class. If I want answers particularly from very shy students I may say, tell me what your partner said. This way each class member must get an idea from their partner, and this makes them more likely to agree to swap in case I ask them for their partners thoughts.
Source: Sue Beddall, Fourth Year Teacher: http://www.teach-nology.com

No comments: