Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Old Enough to Teach

My favorite teacher was my high school English teacher. It was fun just being in her classroom. I began my first full-time teaching job two months shy of my 23rd birthday. On a college campus, being over 21 is considered old and wise. While my elementary students appreciate my age, my colleagues don’t. My pigtails and flip-flops don’t fit into this new world. I began coming in early and staying late to prove that I, too, could join the ranks of “Super Teachers.” I worked extra hard on my lessons and tried my best to be at every parent function so that my commitment could never be questioned. However, some teachers seemed annoyed by my ever-present enthusiasm.

Generation Y is growing up. We want to influence the world like the generations before us did. We are transitioning into the “adult world” and we need to be heard. We are full of knowledge and desperately trying to make an impact. We should not be discouraged.
Summary from Teacher Magazine July 16, 2007 by Erin Reed

No comments: