Monday, October 27, 2008

Orange Brook Elementary's Instructional Coaches

The following are stories provided by six of Orange Brook Elementary's Instructional Coaches. The stories focus on the rewards the coaches received helping new educators transition into the teaching profession.
Story One
I like to help people. As an Instructional Coach, I have an opportunity to help another teacher get things organized in her classroom and I can offer suggestions to help make her day a little smoother and easier. I have also enjoyed watching her teach her class. Once she had a great project that she did with her students and I was able to modify it to use with my class.
Story Two
Being able to reduce the pressure on a New Educator's by assisting in various aspects especially the overwhelming paperwork and procedures so she could focus on teaching, was one of the most rewarding experiences. Maintaining an open, two way communication being there for my NE to express her concerns and needs on a regular basis and seeing how my assistance and advice give her more confidence was a great feeling also!
Story Three
It was so nice to see a new teacher have support and actually know what to do each day. I know that I felt so unsupported when I was a new teacher. It was also nice to know that my new educator felt comfortable coming to me with issues and that I could work with her to come up with answers.
Story Four
My most rewarding experience as an Instructional coach was having a NE that is truly enthusiastic and vibrant about being and educator! Also, sharing the many new and exciting teaching skills, strategies, and ideas at the NESS meetings has made me a more reflective teacher.
Story Five
My most rewarding experience as an instructional coach was seeing my mentee grow and learn. She started off very timid and self-conscious and now she is a confident teacher. She does not question herself anymore. She knows that she has the skills to teach her students and she does it without hesitation. I am proud to see how much my mentee has learned and how much her students have learned because of it.
Story Six
My most rewarding experience this year as an Instructional Coach, was helping a new educator be successful. I was able to help my new educator have a great first year . That in it self was rewarding to me. Although, my NESS person is teaching in intermediate, and I am primary, we found experiences that related to each other.

No comments: