Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Teaching Tip: Super Story

If I find that I finish a lesson quicker than I planned, I always do a Super Story with my students. It is a simple activity. I present my double-sided red-blue, teacher pen to students. Children love just to hold the pen. I write a single sentence on the board to start the Super Story. I then pass the pen and the Super Story paper to a student. This student must now add two sentences to the Super Story. When they are finished, they pass the pen and paper to another student. This student must first read the entire story to class from the beginning. After reading, the student must also add two sentences. We continue this through the entire class. Once every student writes, we finish the story as a class. I find the best way is to have students brainstorm and then vote on the ending.

Source: Kyle Newing: Grade 5-6 Teacher

No comments: