Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Create Your Own Website

Technology is such a way of life for many people, but especially for the younger generation. For me, the decision to create a web site was an easy one; I wanted to build communication with my students and parents, and allow the students to improve their technology skills at the same time.

As teachers, we have all seen students walk out forgetting their permission slip, homework assignment or instructions for a project. Posting everything on the website eliminates those possibilities.

Some might question how the website benefits students who may not have internet access at home, and the answer is twofold: I work with an extremely supportive administration and staff who provides technology access throughout the day, including in my classroom each day. I also have students who are so excited to work with technology that they go to the library and use the computers there.

Students who are absent are able to check my web site daily for messages and homework, plus online resources to complete their work. For example, I can outline an entire lesson on one page with links to helpful references, and on another page I can provide information about our school-wide book club. They also use these links to submit their work online.

Each day I post notes or instructions for students to reinforce my lessons. This also creates a connection between parents and myself. The parents are able to view weekly outlines of lessons and due dates for the work. I know it's working, because students are bringing notes and work printed off the web site, and the number of hits has jumped dramatically. In the first two weeks of September there have been nearly 2,500 hits to the site. Needless to say, it has been an invaluable tool in creating a channel of communication outside of my 50-minute class period.

Please visit the site at www.christinalambard.com
Source: Christina Lambard, Westglades Middle School

No comments: